As a mother of a toddler, I always try to experiment new with dishes. Generally, all kids love south Indian cuisine but they get bored eating the same type of dosa and idlis. So I thought why not give a try to Neer Dosa!
Neer Dosa is another variety of dosa from Karnataka ‘neer’ means ‘water’ so Neer dosa means ‘Water Dosa’. The batter of dosa is watery consistency, very thin not thick like usual dosa.
Neer dosa was introduced to me by one of our neighbour aunty from Bangalore. I have got this authentic recipe from her. Very easy to prepare no fermentation process is required.
You just need to soak the rice for 4-5 hours grind and make instant dosas. You can also soak the rice overnight. You can serve this dosa with any chutney or sambhar. Coconut milk and jaggery combination also go well for kids. Today I am serving these dosas with fresh aamras as my son love this combination.
- 2 cups rice (overnight soaked)
- Salt as required
- ¾ cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup coconut milk(optional)
- 4 cups water
- Oil for greasing
- Wash and soak rice overnight.
- Drain the soaked rice.
- Grind the soaked rice along with grated coconut.
- Add a little water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Once it is done pour it into a bowl.
- Now add salt and coconut milk mix well,now add more water make the batter like water consistency. The batter should not
- coat the back of a ladle. It should be that thin.
- Now heat a pan, I used iron tawa.
- Grease the tawa with few drops of oil. Wipe it with the paper towel.
- Now pour a ladleful of batter and swirl the pan to coat it.
- Cover the pan and cook for 50 seconds.once it is done use a spatula to ease the sides.
- Cook another side for 30 seconds.Fold the dosa into a triangle.Serve dosa with chutney.