Italian cuisine is popular around the world for its perfect mixture of spices and cheese, because why not! Lasagna is a centuries-old Italian dish that is still celebrated around the world for its lip-smacking taste. National Lasagna Day, celebrated on 29th July, points toward the love this layered flat pasta has gathered over centuries of being a staple food in Italy. Since its venture into the US, Lasagna was never out of trend. There is no better excuse than a national day to order or cook your favourite lasagna today. Before we jump into the celebration here are some things you would love to know about lasagna.
The Cheesy Origin Story
People having the time of their life while eating cheesy lasagna dates back to more than a few centuries. There is more than one origin story for the term ‘lasagna’- a modification of the word ‘laganon’ used for pasta in Greece and owing to the word ‘lasanum’ meaning the pot in which lasagna was prepared. It has been evolving since and ingredients were added one after the other to finally present to us the modern-day lasagna. There are several recipes followed around Italy depicting various traditions that further spread around the world.
Pick Your Lasagna Recipe
Classic Non-Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe:
Prepare the sauce
Ingredients– Onions, bell pepper, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and ground beef.
How to– Just like any pasta recipe, put in all the ingredients in the pan following the usual order and simmer the sauce for a thick consistency.
- Boil the noodles while your sauce is being prepared.
- Get the cheese. Three types- mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan cheese.
- Layer your lasagna. Start with the simmered meat sauce and spread it in the pot. Followed by layers of- noodles, meat sauce, and cheese.
- Repeat the layering to use up your prepared ingredients.
- Bake until the top layer looks bubbly and that is it! Serve and savour your classic lasagna.
Vegetarian Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Recipe:
Not only for vegans but there are some veggie days for meat lovers too. This is your signal to try a vegetarian lasagna recipe.
- Cut the mushrooms and spinach into ideal shape and size.
- Prepare the sauce using onions, tomatoes (three categories mentioned above), bell pepper, and spices. Or you can use a specific sauce(s) you would like to add.
- Boil the noodles while your sauce is getting ready.
- Grab the cheese, any type, or all three types.
- Start arranging the layers. Add a layer of sauce, then noodles, followed by another layer of sauce and finally cheese. Keep repeating the layers.
- Bake until the top layer looks turns bubbly. There you are. Enjoy your veggie wonder lasagna.
The great part about making lasagna is that it is yours to make it the way you want. You can experiment with veggies, meat, sauces, and spices to create the perfect lasagna to satisfy your taste buds. There are no rules to follow. You will be amazed to create your own recipe with some secret tips to share. So, if you have already accomplished this milestone don’t hesitate to share. Celebrate this National Lasagna Day by displaying your love for this mouth-watering delicacy.