The assistance of the right first aid after any mishap can be very crucial a lot of times. Not to exaggerate but it can be life-saving too. World First Aid Day is celebrated on the second Saturday of September every year in order to make people understand the importance of first aid and its method. This year the World First Aid Day will be observed on 11th September 2021. The International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC) initiated this day as a part of their humanitarian motto.
Why Keep a First Aid at Home?
- Prevent further infections: A lot of injuries might end with severe infection problems. Immediate first aid of the wound can prevent further chances of any infection. Usage of the right antibiotic can help a lot in treatment.
- Reduce the risk of Complications: Instead of getting overwhelmed by any accident, you must grab your first and assist the injured person to make sure they are safe. Immediate assistance helps avoid severe consequences in the future.
- Take control of the situation: With instant first aid assistance, you can prevent excessive blood loss, avoid the exposure of wounds, and relieve the pain or burning. This will help the injured person in a lot of ways.
- Keep medical essentials in one place: A first aid can help you in handling emergencies without panic as all your medical supplies are kept in one place. Instead of starting a search operation you just need to get your first aid and assist the injured person as soon as possible.
- Be helpful to your loved ones: Don’t be just rationally more prepared, but feel emotionally at ease by helping your people in difficult situations.
What’s in your First Aid Kit?
Here are some essential items that you must add to your first aid kit:
- An antiseptic liquid: to clean wounds before applying further medicine or bandage.
- Cotton: to clean the wound, applying the medicine, or using it with a bandage.
- Adhesive Bandage: buy various sizes and shapes to apply in any area. It can be your saviour in cases of minor wounds and injuries.
- Crepe Bandages: for muscle injuries like strains.
- A thermometer: to precisely check the body temperature instead of making guesses.
- Pain reliever spray: for sudden back pains or sprains that might hinder the regular routine.
- Scissors: it is optional in case you are sure to find one at any time you will need it.
Useful drug supplies:
- Paracetamol: used as a fever reducer and pain reliever. Carry separately for adults and kids.
- Antacid: helps in getting rid of your indigestion and be your comfortable self.
- Antihistamines: allergies are very common and might appear anywhere at any time so keep your saviours handy.
- Painkillers: to deal with headaches or body pain.
— NDMA India | राष्ट्रीय आपदा प्रबंधन प्राधिकरण 🇮🇳 (@ndmaindia) September 7, 2021
Important Things to Know!
Providing first aid assistance without appropriate knowledge can put the injured person in more danger. So you must have the right knowledge to go ahead with the first aid.
- Use gloves if there is a chance of infection.
- Wear a mask and other protective equipment if required.
- Do not apply any drug until you are 100% sure about its effects.
- Discard the used items safely.