Diwali is here and if you aren’t voluntarily sweating it out in the kitchen already, you need to speed up so that all the delicacies you had in your mind for this Diwali are out by the time the ‘D-day’ arrives. Well, if it’s a festive time, more the merrier! So here are 4 mouth-watering sweets recipes that are just perfect for the diwali season.
1. Badam Sevaiyan kheer
- ½ cup Sevaiyan, 1 ltr milk
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 plain bowl sugar
- ¼ bowl Badam paste
- 2 cardamoms
- 4 saffron stands
- 3 tsp almond flakes
- 5 cashew nuts (golden fried)
- 5 raisins
In a non-stick pan heat 1 tsp ghee, golden fry Sevaiyan and keep aside. Stir continuously.
Boil 2 ½ cup water. Put fried Sevaiyan into boiled water. Cover the pan and cook for 6 minutes or until Sevaiyan is cooked.
Now add the milk and simmer again for 2 minutes, add almond paste, sugar, saffron and cardamom powder cook till sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly. Pour remaining 1 tsp of ghee, mix well.
Garnish it with almond flakes, cashew nuts, and raisins.
Serve as it is or refrigerate it and serve chilled.
Badam Paste- Soak 9 almonds in lukewarm water for 1 hour, then peel and blend to a smooth paste using very little water.
2. Corn Halwa
- 1 cup grated sweet corn
- 1 cup full fat milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ bowl Mawa
- 4 tsp grated coconut
- 4 tsp pure ghee
- ½ bowl chopped dry fruits (almond, cashew nuts, pistachios, raisins)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Few stands of saffron
- In a nonstick pan heat 4 tsp pure ghee. Add sweet corn and sauté it until golden brown, stir continuously. It will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Now put Mawa into fried sweet corn stir for 2 minutes. Add milk, cardamom powder and sugar simmer the mixture until sugar dissolves and ghee separates from the mixture.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut and saffron stands cook for another 1 minutes.
- Garnish it with chopped dry fruits.
3. Shahi Bread ka Tukda
- 5 slices of bread, Pure ghee for deep-frying
- For sugar syrup, ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp milk, Few saffron stands
- Pinch of cardamom powder, Rabadi
- 2 cup milk, 2 tbsp pure ghee
- 1 cup Mawa, ¼ cup sugar powder
- ¼ tbsp cardamom powder, A few stands of saffron
- A few drops of rose essence
Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes, make 1 string syrup. Add cardamom powder.
Put saffron stands into milk for 5 minutes rub it and add it to the syrup.
Mix all the ingredients into pan simmer for 10 minutes till it gets thick.
Refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or until it gets chilled.
Cut each bread slice diagonally into two equal parts. Deep fry these bread slices into pure ghee. Drain the fried bread slices on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
How to Serve
Dip the fried bread into the warm sugar syrup and place in the serving dish.
Top with chilled Rabadi and serve immediately garnished with chopped dry fruits.
Warm and chilled combination tastes delicious!
4. Besan Churma Laddu
- Besan -2 cup
- Sugar- 2 cup
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Cashew nuts- ¼ bowls crushed
- Raisins- ¼ bowl
- Pure ghee- for deep fry.
- Make a soft dough of gram flour adding some water and 1 tsp hot edible oil. Make the tight dough.
- Make the small equal balls out of kneaded dough. Roll out each kneaded ball into a circle (like puri) by applying oil. Do not sprinkle dry gram flour because it will burn during deep-frying the puris.
- Now deep fry the puris in pure ghee till it golden brown.
- Now break each puri like churma and make dry besan churma out of it.
- Make sugar syrup by adding sugar into 1 cup of water; stir till it turns sticky (one thread sugar chashni)
- Add cashaw nuts, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Now put besan churma and 2 tsp of pure ghee into the sugar syrup. Mix well. Keep the mixture aside for at least one hour or till it becomes cold.