‘Skin Slugging’ – The new skincare trend is creating waves on the internet. As hip as the term may sound, it’s an acceptable treatment practised across the globe since as early as the petroleum jelly’s invention. Petroleum Jelly aka Vaseline offers a host of skin benefits. The most widely accepted being ‘Skin Slugging’ for dry skin. This therapy helps to lock the moisture in the skin.
According to some of the world’s renowned Dermatologists, “Slugging is a great as well as an inexpensive option for someone with skin dryness and irritation. For those looking at DIY & quick skin hydration techniques, this one’s very effective. The method shows exemplary results, especially in winters.”
The process of Skin Slugging is quite simple:
- Clean the face, pat dry.
- Take Vaseline on the pointer, middle & ring fingers of both the hands
- Slather on your face to create a nice layer
- Wash the face the next morning. You will notice positive results from the first day itself. Repeat for three weeks for supple & glowing skin.
Pros of Slugging:
- Exemplary results for extremely dry skin
- Helps retain moisture in the skin
- Consistent use in winter helps fight dryness
- Application on elbows & other body parts helps maintain hyper-moisturization
- Inexpensive treatment method
- Recommended post laser and micro-needling treatment when skin becomes very dry
Cons of Slugging:
- Avoid usage if you sweat at night as Vaseline is occlusive. Sweat can get trapped under the ointment causing breakouts called miliaris
- Not recommended for oily / acne-prone / fungal acne skin
Skin Slugging has, over the years, proven to be an effective therapy for skin glow & dryness eradication. However, if you have sensitive skin or are undergoing skin treatment, it is advisable to consult a dermatologist.