Jackfruit, also known as vegetarian’s meat grows primarily in Southern India and Southeast Asia. Jackfruit is gaining popularity because of its incredible health benefits and also loved by all vegans and vegetarians in their curries, biryanis and BBQ salads. Did you know that Pinterest named Jackfruit as one of the hottest food trends of 2017? You wouldn’t want to give a miss to this recipe if you are really looking for a change in your daily roti and sabji routine.
Jackfruit contains a significant amount of dietary fibre, vitamin A, B, C, potassium, iron, manganese, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus, thus making it extremely healthy.
Health Benefits of Raw Jackfruit
- High in protein
- Low in calories
- It boosts immunity
- It aids heart health
- Strengthens bones and improves blood quality
- Treats skin problems
- Helps to deal with digestion
- Helps in thyroid disorder
- It is a great meat substitute
With all the health benefits in mind, let’s see how to prepare the Jackfruit curry.
Raw Jackfruit Curry
- 300 gm Raw Jackfruit Peeled and chopped in cube shape
- 2 qty Onions Thinly Sliced
- 1 cup Dry grated coconut
- 6-8 qty Garlic cloves
- 3 qty Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 qty Cardamom
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 qty Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard and Cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 4-5 qty Curry Leaves
- 2 qty Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt To taste
- Chopped Coriander For Garnishing
Cutting the Raw Jackfruit
- To begin making the Raw Jackfruit curry, let us ﬁrst cut the Raw Jackfruit. For that, you have to apply oil on your palms, knife and cutting board.
- Remove the skin properly, rinse the peeled Jackfruit. Then chop the Jackfruit in a medium cube shape and remove the seeds.Generally, I get the peel removed from the vegetable vendor. Keep aside in saltwater so that pieces will not become brown.
Boil the Raw Jackfruit Cubes
- The next step is to boil the raw jackfruit cubes.In a small pressure cooker add jackfruit cubes, and little water and one-inch tamarind or kokum. Cook it up to 3 whistles and turn oﬀ the heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the curry masala.In a medium-sized Kadai add a tsp of oil, add sliced onion and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add dry grated coconut and roast everything well till it becomes golden brown in colour.
- The next step is to make a ﬁne paste, in a blender or mixture pot add roasted onion, coconut and other masala ingredients, make a ﬁne paste. Add little water if required.
- Now in a plain girdle or tawa add tbsp of oil and saute the cooked jackfruit cubes till golden brown from all the sides.
- For tempering heat 3 tbsp cooking oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves, bay leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Now add the ground masala saute for one minute add chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and raw jackfruit cubes.
- Mix all the ingredients well, cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2 ½ cups hot water. Mix everything well. Cover the pressure cooker and cook curry for 3 whistles and turn oﬀ the heat.
- Allow pressure to release naturally. Once pressure has released, turn oﬀ the heat. Open the lid, add in the freshly chopped coriander.
- Check the salt and spices and adjust accordingly.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.
- Raw jackfruit curry is now ready!! Serve along with Jowar Bhakri or chapati and sliced onion.