It is believed that the Christmas wreath originated in ancient Greece and Rome, where members of the Greco-Roman society would hand-craft ring-shaped decorations called “coronas” from fresh leaves, branches, twigs, fruits and flowers, before hanging them on their door as a symbol of victory.
What does a wreath symbolize at Christmas?
Together, the circular shape and the evergreen material make the wreath a representation of eternal life. It is also a representation of faith, as Christians in Europe often placed a candle on the wreath during Advent to symbolize the light that Jesus brought into the world. This Christmas wreath can be a perfect share during the holiday season.
Ingredients – 6 portions
- 80 Gr of prunes
- 80 Gr of chopped almonds
- 80 Gr of candied oranges
- 80 Gr of blond grapes
- 50 Gr of cointreau
- 500 Gr of flour
- 12 Gr of salt
- 50 Gr of caster sugar
- 60 Gr of baker’s yeast
- 240 Gr of eggs
- 80 Gr of milk
- 50 Gr of sourdough
- 250 Gr of butter
- 40 Gr of egg yolks
- 40 Gr of egg whites
- 20 Gr of milk
- 2 Gr of salt
- 2 Gr of caster sugar
- QS of neutral topping
- QS of candied orange peel
- QS of grain sugar
- QS of raw caramelized almonds
- On a board, using a knife, cut the prunes and candied oranges into cubes.Put everything in a mixing bowl and let macerate for 24 hours.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with a hook, put all the ingredients except the butter.
- Knead until the dough comes off the bowl coating.
- Add the butter little by little and let the dough take off from the bowl.
- Then add the garnish to macerate.
- Leave to rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Break the dough, place on a baking sheet fitted with a sheet of parchment paper, wrap in film and refrigerate.
- Weigh at 30 Gr and shape into a ball.
- Make a crown with 7 balls, put a 6cm circle in the middle and let grow for 2 hours at 25 ° C.
- Mix everything together and brown with a brush.
- Bake at 160 ° C for 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a rack.
- Heat the topping and mix with 10% water.
- Cover the brioche entirely.
- On the side put grain sugar.
- Decorate the top with the rest of the ingredients.