The great Indian thali is incomplete without the tangy flavours of chutney. Chutney has been a staple in every household, it compliments our lunch, dinner, and even our variety of snacks. Mango chutney is something I can’t live without especially during mango season. There are many ways to prepare raw mango chutney.Raw mango with coconut, raw mango with coriander and mint, raw mango with peanut and jaggery. But I personally like raw mango and onion combination. In Marathi, we call it ‘Kairi-kanda’ chutney. I have adopted this recipe from my ‘mother-in- law’, she makes this chutney in the grindstone/khalbatta. This hand ground chutney tastes amazing.
I’ve made this chutney in the electric grinder. A quick recipe with very few ingredients which are easily available in all kitchen. This recipe is little spicy you can adjust chilly proportion as per the taste.Serve chutney as a side dish. Taste yummy with rice.
- 1 small raw mango (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large or one cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- Oil, mustard seeds and cumin seeds for tempering.(In a hot oil add mustard and cumin seeds) Keep aside till chutney is done.
- In a small pot of grinder add together raw mango, cumin seeds, jaggery, salt and chilly powder.
- Grind till it becomes the smooth paste.
- Now add the onion and coarsely grind for one second (don’t over grind the mixture after adding the onion. Coarsely ground onion tastes yummy in this recipe)
- Lastly, temper the chutney with mustard and cumin seeds oil.