Diwali is the most exciting festival of all times. It signifies family, food, fun and festivities. The best part about Diwali is the preparation of delicious delicacies. This Diwali I am planning to make traditional Bengali recipe which not only looks stunning but tastes also amazing.
Lavan Latika Preparation time – 15 minutes Cooking time- 1-hour Yield- 22
Ingredients For Lavang Latika
For the outer cover
- 2 cups maida
- 4 tbsp melted ghee
- pinch of salt
For the sugar syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
For the stuffing
- 300 gm mawa or khoya
- ½ cup dry fruit powder (almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts and pistachios)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
Oil for deep frying
22 cloves to seal the pockets
Procedure For Bengali Style Lavang Latika
- In a wide bowl mix all cover ingredients, add a little water and knead the soft dough. Knead it for 5 minutes and cover with damp cloth. Keep it aside.
- For sugar syrup mix water and sugar in a wide pan cook till sugar dissolves completely.
- For stuffing add mawa in a nonstick pan stir continuously. Add dry fruit powder, sugar and cardamom powder roast till mixture become little dry. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Take kneaded dough knead it again lightly. Make the equal size of 22 balls.
- Take one ball roll it like small poori (not so thin or not too thick)
- Place a tbsp of filling in the centre of poori.
- Now fold one side of poori.
- Fold the second side of poori.
- Now bring the other two sides together and overlap it.
- Put the clove in the centre so that filling will not open while frying.
- Now deep fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Drop the lavang latikas inside the sugar syrup, let this soak in the sugar syrup for 5 minutes.
- Take it out from the syrup and arrange it on a plate.
- Repeat the procedure for remaining dough and stuffing
- It will stay fresh for 10 days.