Kochi researchers have found in a new study that green Jackfruit powder decreases blood sugar glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in Diabetes patients. The research published in Diabetes journal suggests a therapeutic potential of Green Jackfruit powder in improving glycaemic control in Type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients.
When prepared as a meal, Green Jackfruit is similar in texture to mashed potato and is a traditional replacement for cooked rice in Sri Lanka and Kerala. In flour form, Green Jackfruit is easy to integrate with a variety of daily food such as idli, dosa, upma or roti.
India does not consume sufficient fruits and vegetables, and instead, it relies on excess refined rice and wheat. When one spoon of rice or wheat flour is replaced by that of jackfruit, there is a reduction of carbohydrate which is revealed in one’s sugar levels. There is also a decrease in calories, which helps in losing weight. Thirdly, the flour which contains fibre helps largely with bowel movement.
The researchers conducted a double-blind randomised trial to test the effect of 30g green Jackfruit powder/ flour in participants with type 2 diabetes (T2DM) as an integral part of the daily meal by observing the change of glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c), fasting blood sugar (FBS) and postprandial sugar (PPS) in blood from baseline.
Jackfruit, when ripe is one of the sweetest fruits. But raw Jackfruit has emerged as a defence against diabetes.
12 Remarkable Health Benefits of Jackfruit Powder/Flour :
- Helps in controlling diabetes or blood sugar.
- Reduces bad cholesterol level and obesity.
- Its high potassium content helps lower elevated blood pressure, and high antioxidant and flavonoid content protect against cancer.
- Jackfruit powder/ flour also increases the human body’s capacity to absorb iron, making it extremely effective in preventing and curing anaemia.
- Gluten-free food.
- Neutral in taste – Neutral in taste and can be added easily to your favourite daily meal items such as roti, paratha, dosa or idli etc. to reduce carbohydrate and increase vegetable intake.
- High soluble fibres – With high levels of soluble fibre and much lower levels of carbohydrate and calories as compared to wheat and rice.
- Aids in weight management.
- Immunity booster – Presence of vitamin C is an immunity booster.
- Jackfruit also has cancer-curing properties.
- Great replacement for maida -Jackfruit flour can be used in baking items such as cakes and cookies instead of maida.
- Wholesome meal.